First: zuppa di zucchini e salmone
Second: torta tricolore
Third: dessert piu facile del mondo ;)
Courgette soup
This has got to be the easiest soup in the world. But it is really tasty and again, with a teeny extra effort, you are sure to impress people with your extraordinary culinary creativity!
- 3 or 4 courgettes
(you can also use more courgettes and less water)
- vegetable bouillon cube
- spring onion or small leek (optional)
- salt and (white) pepper
- smoked salmon
- saté stokjes (sorry, don't know what these are called in English!)
- optional: light cooking cream
Sautee spring onion in a pan in olive oil until translucent. Chop courgette into course pieces, add to pan. Cover. After 10 mins or so, add bouillon cube and water (depending on how much soup you want, but don't add too much to allow for optimal courgette taste; I guess no more than about 1 liter (?)). Taste - if it is too bland add another vegetable bouillon cube. Add white pepper. Puree with staafmixer, add cooking cream if you want. Serve in bowls. Then, as a somewhat pretentious but fun finishing touch: 'thread' a strip of smoked salmon (approx 3 or 4 cm wide) on a saté stokje in a zigzag pattern. Lay one stokje diagonally on each bowl of soup. A tiny dollop of cream in the middle of the soup - and again: so simple, so tasty, and looks great!
Torta tricolore
I am not a big fan of pastry products so I transformed this quiche into a 'flan'. But you can also use filo dough or something to line it, and you can use 1 less egg (maybe). The taste and the color of this flan will definitely impress anyone, it looks really, really great, it's light and very tasty! Apart from the peppers (and even then, see my footnote...), it is super easy to make.
- 1 green pepper, 1 red pepper, 1 yellow pepper (paprika)
- 2 pieces of soft goat cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk* (approx.)
- 1 cup light slagroom (or just do a bit more milk if you don't want to use this)
- Italian herbs or herbes de provence (of course)
- optional: lightly roasted pine nuts
- Roast and peel paprika's. Cut into very thin, narrow slices and mix colors.**
- Crumble goat cheese into a large mixing bowl, add milk, cream, herbs and eggs, and whip lightly with a fork.
- Pour into a greased baking dish. Drop the paprika slices onto flan to get a nice colorful mixed up pattern.
- Bake in pre-heated oven on about 180-200 degrees for about 25 mins until it is set (check frequently to make sure it doesn't color too brown as this will ruin the colorful effect - if it is coloring too brown cover with foil). Serve luke warm.
- You can also throw in some lightly roasted pine nuts but make sure not to burn them while roasting (I always, always do!)
* (literally 1 cup, not the American size because I have no idea how much that is. I kind of just add some milk etc. to get a nice consistency and amount.)
** now that I have kids, I skip this, because it's too much work! Either buy preroasted, or just sautee narrow slices in olive oil until soft. It really doesn't make that much difference.
source: Marielle (this is, of course, a variation of the original)
The easiest dessert in the world
This is a great summer dessert.
1. Buy profiterolles or 'soesjes' (or make them yourself. Yeah right!)
2. Buy strawberries, cherries, blueberries - whatever tasty fruit there is available
3. Put profiterolles on a nice dish
4. Add fruits to dish among the profiterolles, arrange them to look nice together
5. Sprinkle a bit of icing sugar over the top.
This is so tasty, and looks very gezellig. So tell me, is this not the easiest dessert in the world..?
3 comments:
re: SOUP: except for the salmon, that is exactly how Auntie Evelyn used to make it. I leave out the cream, but the salmon makes it look fancy. What do you do with the salmon? Eat it? Put it in the soup? Stir the soup with it?
saté stokje = skewer
Re: the TORTA TRICOLORE: A piece of goat's cheese is how big exactly? 10 cm? 100 gr??
An official "cup" of milk is 250 ml. (I know this because I make porridge every day)
In order NOT to burn the pine nuts you have to stand shaking the pan the whole time and turn them off before you think they're done.
Sounds quite lekker.
Oh, you just reminded me: I bought some red, yellow and green linguine last time I was in Italy... must use it one day!
Re: DESSERT: this is slightly more complex than scooping ice cream out of a tub. (Cote d'Or are advertising a very lekker looking one, chocolate and vanilla swirl but not actually one my current diet!)
Thanks, Hummel
Sounds like a very wonderful menu. I made your zucchini soup for Christmas dinner appetizer a few years ago (without the salmon, I think). Now we just have to find some friends to serve this to. Or just make it for ourselves for a special dinner. I'm sure the kids would like that dessert!
re the salmon, you can do with it what you want. i would suggest eating it.
re. the goats cheese, yes, i guess each piece is about 75-100 grams.
re. a cup, yeah, i guess that's about how much i would use, although 2 cups is too much.
re. pine nuts, yes, that is exactly why i always burn them because i usually multitask while cooking, but that's not a good idea with something like pine nuts because you always forget or go back to them too late.
re. dessert, yes ice cream is the 1thing that's easier but this is tastier and ice cream is boring!
Post a Comment