I get beets all the time in my vegetable subscription, but I really don't like them. Now, finally, I have found something to do with them other than give them to a neighbor. This is the only way I actually like beets - 'cause you can't taste 'em!! Cuts beets into small cubes. Chop and onion and fry in oil till translucent. Add beets and grated (or powdered) ginger. Add lemon juice, orange juice, cardemom seeds (if you happen to have them - if not, doesn't matter), cloves (powdered or +/- 3 dried), coriander, cinnamon, salt. Let this simmer for about 10 mins. Then add coconut milk (santen, no idea what this is in English, but I guess coconut milk will do too), chopped nuts (pref. 'paranoten' but peanuts are good too), and a handful of raisins. If necessary add more orange juice or water to prevent sticking/drying out. Cook for another 15 mins. Is good with rice, or cut potatoes in small cubes, boil, and add about 2 mins before curry is done.
Your house will smell like a lovely Indian restaurant for 2 days after this! =)
4 comments:
sounds lovely. I happen to like beetroot so it's not a problem for me; I also like Indian food so sounds extra lekker.
I think you probably haven't had properly made beetroots in the past. They're lovely and sweet, when they're not preserved in vinegar (which is how you mostly get them here in England).. But with the right spices, they're really nice. Perhaps this is the beginning of a new era for you! ;-)
Love.
Well it's exactly that sweet, earthy texture that I hate. Trust me I have tried it often enough, people have tried to serve it to me in all kinds of 'delicious' variations like beet carpaccio, salad, etc. etc. Never liked it.
In other exiting news, I also made something with red cabbage yesterday, my other least favorite vegetable. What was it? Cole slaw!
no, I don't like cole slaw - all that mayonnaise. Cabbage and carrots - two of my least favourite vegetables. Look forward to the recipe! Maybe with red cabbage it's better...?
I don't use mayonaise, I use yogonaise, and kwark, and horseradish, and olive oil and water. so actually you could also skip the yogonaise if you didn't want to use anything like that at all. other than that, salt, white pepper, sugar, selery chopped small, selery seed, and those seed things, umm what's it called... not aniseed, not fennel, something like that tho'. anyway, just play around (as always) till it's right.
Post a Comment