Sunday, September 26, 2010

Seared salmon with Cashew and Lemon Pesto

The official recipe (from the Tradfford Metro Newspaper) which officially "serves 2" is as follows:
for Pesto: 150 gr cashew nuts; 1 whole clove of garlic [or more - preferably more!]; 100 g Parmesan; 2 Tbls olive oil; juice of half a lemon [i.e. 1 Tbl from a bottle];
for Salmon: 1 Tbl olive oil; 2 x 200 gr salmon fillets, skinned and boned [duh! that's what a fillet is!].
Put cashews and garlic on a tray and roast in a hot oven (180ºC) for 6 minutes until lightly coloured*. Leave to cool. [smells lovely]
In a food processor, blend nuts, garlic, parmesan and lemon juice [recipe forgets to add the lemon juice at this point], slowly adding olive oil to form a paste.
In hot olive oil, sear both sides of the salmon fillet.
When ready to serve, place the pesto on top and grill under a hot grill ['broiler"] for about two minutes, until cheese has melted. Serve on a bed of beef tomatoes, roasted baby tomatoes and mixed leaves, adding an extra squeeze of lemon, if desired.

What the recipe fails to mention is the fact that 150gr cashews and half a wedge of parmesan cheese is enough for six people! Just bear this in mind.
It is very nice! A nice dry white wine on the side and... voilà!
Bon appétit!

p.s.. Julie: if you do this with pine nuts, you don't have to stand over them and watch them burn! They don't need to colour - just warm up to release the aroma/taste.


4 comments:

juulferg said...

ha ha, thanks for the tip re the cashews but i have not burned my pine nuts for a while now. this ezel has bumped herself more than twice on that stone and appears to have mastered it now. ;)

Are you sure there's not supposed to be any basil or green thing in the pesto? Strange. But sounds good, I will try it. I also have a recipe for moroccan pesto (feta and coriander) which also sounds really good, I ran across it again yesterday when I was filing my recipes. Nice to experiment with different kinds. Holly's mother makes it with rucola, but then you need very very good quality, organic variety or it tastes bland.

Dianne Simcock said...

yes, I agree about the "green" bit but it was nice anyway. You can always use greenery to decorate! Oh yes, the recipe did say to serve it on a bed of mixed leaves, didn't it? I served it with fried gem lettuce (!) and green asparagus. Both were very nice.

juulferg said...

oh yes, meant to tell you - I jazzed this up with basil and rucola and lemon in the pesto, and some other stuff but i don't remember anymore. I think this was better because it seems too 'heavy' (oil *and* cashews...)otherwise. Anyway, a nice alternative to regular pesto.

Dianne Simcock said...

I'm sure whatever you did was better than the original recipe. You're such a good cook. Plus, I think all cooks leave out their "secret ingredient" when they pass a recipe on... I know Oma used to!!