Friday, March 25, 2011

Roasted Butternut with Blue Cheese and Shiitake Mushrooms


I have refrained from posting this sooner because I thought I'd serve it when you came to visit. But Jon liked it so much, I shall share it. We've had it twice already since I found it in the Vegetarian magazine Karen gave me.
Ingredients:
1 lg butternut squash; 1 (!) clove garlic; 160g orzo pasta [or rice, in my case]; 1 banana shallot [?] or a few normal ones; 10 fresh sage leaves [or ground]; 60g shiitake mushrooms sliced; 125 crumbled [! have you ever been able to crumble?] vegetarian blue cheese; 30g roughly chopped walnuts; olive oil; three [!] knobs of butter.
Method:
Preheat oven to 190ºC/375ºF/gas 5. Clean the outside of the squash and remove seeds and fibres.
Brush the halves with olive oil/butter and crush the garlic into the two hollows. Season with salt and pepper. [Amazingly, 1 clove is actually sufficient.]
Bake in a pre-heated oven for an hour [or a microwave for about 2x5 mins.
Meanwhile, cook orzo/rice as directed.
Sauté sage, mushrooms and shallots with a knob of butter [or olive oil]. Then add orzo/rice.
Scoop flesh from butternuts leaving a good 1cm of flesh. Mix the scooped-out flesh with the pasta plus most of the blue cheese and walnuts.
Divide between the two halves and sprinkle with remaining blue cheese and walnuts.
Bake in oven for 15 mins until cheese is melted and squash is slightly golden.

I think next time, I'll just serve the above as a risotto type of dish!
It tastes very nice either way. ;-)

No comments: