Monday, November 19, 2018

Pumpkin Soup

Iris made this soup and shared a pan with us. We all liked it so much, and we made it ourselves this time with the big Fall pumpkin we got from Trader Joe's for $2.99. I'll share how I adapted it below.


I cut our medium pumpkin into long segments and used a small knife to cut out the stringy innards and seeds. I used a vegetable peeler to remove the skin. Since it's sold as a carving pumpkin, it had a fairly thin skin and minimal innards so it was not difficult. Sugar pumpkins are firmer so the technique in the recipe may be more suited for them. 

We separated the seeds, rinsed them off, tossed them with a little melted butter and salt, and roasted them at 300 F for 45 minutes. They were delicious! Ella said they tasted like popcorn. Healthier too!

Once the pumpkin segments were cleaned, we cut them into large chunks, arranged them on a baking sheet, sprinkled oil over them, then roasted at 350 for about 45 mins to an hour, until a knife went in easily and bottom parts were brown and started caramelizing. 

Instead of shallot, I used a brown onion.  One other thing I changed was that I added 1/2 tsp ground cardamom. I used the whole can of light coconut milk and more broth & water because there was so much pumpkin. That's it! We ate this with corn bread.



No comments: