Monday, March 31, 2008

Oma's famous Spanakopita

beloved by small children all over the globe (especially in California and Holland!)
  • olive oil;
  • chopped onion;
  • garlic;
  • cumin (I prefer the seeds to ground cumin);
  • 1x 450 gr/1 lb frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained (I always cook it up and Magimix it);
  • 1 pkg feta cheese (recipe says 115 gr but pkg is 200 gr);
  • "115 gr" cottage cheese (or thereabouts);
  • salt & pepper;
  • 1 pkg filo pastry
Recipe says decorate with tomato wedges and coriander sprigs; I use lemon wedges to squeeze over.

Fry onion and cumin seeds in olive oil until onion is opaque, add garlic then spinach;
Remove from heat and stir in both cheeses. Add salt & pepper to taste.

Brush base of baking dish with olive oil. Now layer half the filo pastry in the dish, letting short edges hang over. Officially you should brush every layer with olive oil before adding the next; this tastes very nice but all that oil is not really necessary so I've stopped doing it!
Then add spinach/cheese mixture and cover with the rest of the filo. Trim the longest overhanging edges and tuck in to seal.

Very important step: with a sharp knife cut through the layers to the base of the dish, officially into 16 pieces which I do in an oval dish diagonally, but in a smaller dish I make smaller cuts. You need to pre-cut the pieces before you bake the spanakopita so that you will be able to cut it when it's cooked!

Bake at 190 deg C/375 degF for 30 mins; leave to stand before cutting into pieces.
Can be served hot or warm.

...Moi? who do you think the Swedish Chef was based on?!

4 comments:

juulferg said...

thanks for posting this one, i am always having to search high and low to find it back so this is handy. i re-formatted it a little to make it a bit more easy to read (and remember), hope you don't mind.

Ella+Felix Mama said...

This is not the same recipe as the one you sent me (Mom). Where are the feta and the eggs? Also, you really should brush the layers with olive oil, otherwise it does not taste good at all, really dry. And where is the US measurements?

Ella+Felix Mama said...

Here's my version of the recipe. Also if you use good spinach you don't have to run it through the food processor eg. the stuff from Ralph's is really stemmy but the TJ's stuff is really good and it costs the same. Also I only use 8 sheets of filo for the bottom and 8 for the top which is plenty. Editor - feel free to edit this for the main page or whatever you want.

Spanakopita

Olive oil – about 150 ml5 fl oz
1 onion, skinned, very finely chopped
2x5 ml ground cumin
2 garlic cloves, skinned & crushed
450 gr/1 lb frozen chopped spinach
115 gr/4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
115 gr full-fat soft cheese or curd cheese
salt & pepper
375 gr packet filo pastry
tomato wedges & coriander to garnish
lemon wedges
2 beaten eggs

Heat 2 x 15ml olive oil in a frying pan, add onion and cook gently, stirring frequently for about 10 mins until softened. Add cumin, then garlic and spinach. Remove from heat, add the cheeses and then the eggs.

Brush base and sides of braking dish with olive oil; layer filo sheets, oiling
as you go along, using half the filo.

Spread the spinach cheese mixture. Cover with the remaining filo. Cut off
overhanging edges and tuck in edges to seal.

With a sharp knife, cut to base of dish to make (8/12/16) squares.

Bake at 190 C/375 F/Gas mark 5 for about 30 mins. Leave to cool for 10 mins,
then divide into marked squares.

Decorate with tomato and coriander or serve with lemon wedges!

Dianne Simcock said...

Nicole, it does say feta in the recipe if you read it again. And yes, I forgot Emmy's eggs at the last minute.
As I generally use frozen spinach, I process it in the Magimix, stems and all,
You have the original recipe from Good Housekeeping which I gave you... except for Emmy's eggs. The other recipe is my evolved one. anyway, it's not rocket science [you could serve with rucola, I suppose ;-p ]