Saturday, July 12, 2014

Oma Ferguson's Pound Cake

Basic Pound Cake Recipe as taught to me by Oma Ferguson:
Ingredients:
150 gr sugar
150 gr butter
150 gr flour (I use self-raising for everything)
3 eggs

plus a packet of vanille-suiker which they don't sell here so I usually use vanilla extract; however I didn't have any this time so used almond extract instead - just as lekker!

Combine sugar and butter and beat 'til creamy.
Add vanilla extract.
Beat eggs one by one into the mixture.
On a lower speed, add flour so as not to knock the 'wind' out of the mixture.

I couldn't remember at what temperature to bake it, so I consulted Irma Thingey's Joy of Cooking whose own "Basic Pound Cake" is anything but, including all kinds of spices and peels. But the temperature she gave was 325ºF  (which is officially 162.78ºC!! so say 170) for 1 hr - 1 hr 10 mns. One hour was enough. I did make sure not to place the tin too high in the oven.

Looks o.k. doesn't it? Tastes quite o.k. too. And you can do so much with this 'basic' recipe: add anything you like, I should think, as long as say, the fruit you add isn't too wet. 
I'm serving it as a base to pop 'ice cream' on top of.
Good luck!!

1 comment:

Ella+Felix Mama said...

Thank you, I'm looking forward to trying this to see if it tastes like I remember.